Re: linux-2.4.0-test4 and lp0 bug

From: Ruth Ivimey-Cook (Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@arm.com)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 05:00:14 EST

>From: David Benfell <benfell@greybeard95a.com>
> > test4 presented only one problem:
> > "lp: driver loaded, but no devices found" <from dmesg>
> >
> > Other message from kde print queue when trying to print:
> > sleeping 10
> >
> > Apparently the kernel is missing a beat...
> >
>If it helps at all, I have tried building test4 both with and without
>the IEEE 1284 support. The result is basically the same, other than
>that with the IEEE 1284 support, I see identifying information from my
>printer in dmesg.
>
>This is an irritating glitch, so I'll be happy to test any patches
>someone might have to offer. Just be aware that I am relatively
>inexperienced so you may have to get painfully explicit with your
>instructions on how to apply your patch.

I've just seen this too: SMP kernel, parport/lp drivers built-in.

Looked at the lp0 source and the mesage is printed when the lp_count
variable is zero. It is incremented in lp_attach. Is lp_attach called
before the message is printed in __init ? I can't tell.

Ruth

--

Ruth Ivimey-Cook ruthc@sharra.demon.co.uk Technical Author, ARM Ltd ruth.ivimey-cook@arm.com