Re: DHCP in the kernel

From: Ookhoi (ookhoi@dds.nl)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 05:55:38 EST

> > > yes.
> >
> > so how does this work then? I don't see how you can run dhcpch/pump without
> > having a root filesystem....
>
> I use netboot (http://www.han.de/~gero/netboot), which passes the ip
> number it got (by doing bootp/rarp/dhcp) to the kernel using the
> "ip=..." commandline parameter.

>From their page I understand they get the ip-number via bootp only.

I like the kernel bootp very much, and use it to let fresh servers boot
from a floppy disk and mount a full featured Linux system via nfs so I
can fdisk the disks and cp files (Debian base, drivers and rescue) for a
quick installation of Debian (or debug of course, of just to turn a
windoze into a Linux workstation with only a floppy disk).

I hope bootp will stay in the kernel, and I can't see why it won't or
shouldn't.

                Ookhoi

PS, works fine with kernel2.4