VM: killing process on 2.4.0-test4

From: Mike Kravetz (mkravetz@sequent.com)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 13:21:17 EST

Hello,

While running a workload on a 2.4.0-test4 kernel, the message:

VM: killing process db2sysc

is displayed on the console and the process s killed. This message
is coming from the file fault.c:

/*
 * We ran out of memory, or some other thing happened to us that made
 * us unable to handle the page fault gracefully.
 */
out_of_memory:
        up(&mm->mmap_sem);
        printk("VM: killing process %s\n", tsk->comm);

Does this mean that the kernel ran out of memory? This system has
512MB of mem and 1GB of swap. There is plenty of swap left when
the process is killed.

This workload runs on the same system with a 2.2.14 kernel. The
kernels are configured the same (or as much the same as they can be).

I suppose it is possible that with the 2.2.14 kernel my workload
put kernel memory usage just under the limit, while the 2.4-test4
pushed it over the limit.

Can anyone provide suggestions on how to further analyze this
situation? I can start instrumenting the kernel, but am looking for
better/more established options.

Thanks,

--
Mike Kravetz                                 mkravetz@us.ibm.com