Re: chattr and ext2 extended attributes

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 17:10:11 EST

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Ville Herva wrote:

>> > to do this for a recent kernel, I'm not sure. As for e2compr, I think
>> > code is slowly making its way into the mainstream - e2fsprogs is now
>> > starting to have support for it...
>
>Sadly, AFAIK nobody is doing e2compr port to 2.3/2.4. The 2.2 e2compr is
>very stable and very usable (that's at least my experience.) There was a
>race that showed up when using samba, but that also fixed now (thanks to
>Peter Moulder).
>
>The e2compr support in e2fsprogs is still a separate patch, available at
>the same place as the e2compr kernel patch.

I think you are incorrect here. If I'm not mistaken, Riley
Williams is the maintainer of e2compr now. It was discussed not
long ago.

>> If it works, then you can just take a huge textfile and it will be
>> compressed immediately if you put the c flag on it? Or do you have to
>> read/write it afterwards, or do you even have to start with a touch
>> file?
>
>The file is compressed right after you do 'chattr -c file'. It then
>remains compressed until you do 'chattr -c file' - even when you modify
>the file.
>
>You can also chattr +c a dir, and all the files created into the dir will
>then be compressed.

Yep.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.