Re: MDA video detection request.

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 18:09:01 EST

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Edward Betts wrote:

>> Its been around since the begining. Its fun to have.
>
>WHY? Because I could not go without my MDA. I use it all the time, I love it.
>I am going to have to buy a new machine soon before Microsoft convinces
>the people who make motherboards not to include ISA. I need ISA for my MDA,
>unless of course somebody wants to make a PCI MDA card.

Or better yet, an ISA->PCI adaptor card. Umm.. I guess that
wouldn't work since space restrictions would kill it. It was a
good thought though. ;o)

>Edward thinks about the notebook he is about to buy - Can I get a PCMCIA MDA
>card? Or even better - a PCMCIA ISA bridge, that would be nice.

Er.. looks like you thought of the same thing as I. The pitfalls
of reading a message while you respond... ;o)

>I have to disagree that it has not been with us since the beginning, it was
>only merged in 2.2, before that you had to patch the kernel to get the MDA,

And that was a big PITA. I'm glad it got merged in, and equally
frustrated at the ongoing "get rid of ISA" motherboard makers are
doing. I fear when I get a new Athlon sometime this year, I will
have to follow a trickle down of upgrades. I currently have ISA
modem, SB16, and MDA. I have 3 ISA slots, and need them. What
anyone would need 8 PCI's for is beyond me... Itd be nice to use
my existing hardware in the new system..

>> Yes. I haven't tried to see what happens when you run mdacon and hgafb at
>> the same time on the same hardware. I don't think it would be a good
>> result.
>
>As I say, I use two consoles all the time. My S3 Virge runs the VESA
>framebuffer at 1024x768, and my MDA is just 80x25. And it all works.

I use MDA + Cirrus Logic GL5446 with no framebuffer. Works great.
I can't wait for the new console stuff to get finished and
hopefully merged with the kernel proper. That would be very cool
indeed.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.