Re: E2compr

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 04:12:48 EST

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Ville Herva wrote:

>> >Sadly, AFAIK nobody is doing e2compr port to 2.3/2.4. The 2.2 e2compr is
>> >very stable and very usable (that's at least my experience.) There was a
>> >race that showed up when using samba, but that also fixed now (thanks to
>> >Peter Moulder).
>> >
>> >The e2compr support in e2fsprogs is still a separate patch, available at
>> >the same place as the e2compr kernel patch.
>>
>> I think you are incorrect here. If I'm not mistaken, Riley
>> Williams is the maintainer of e2compr now. It was discussed not
>> long ago.
>
>Incorrect in what respect? Riley Williams and Peter Moulder are the
>maintainers (as I mentioned Peter just lately fixed a long standing bug so
>e2compr is not completely unmaintained), but that doesn't mean anyone is
>porting it to 2.4. I personally haven't seen any messages or alpha patches
>that would indicate the work is in progress. Of course that doesn't mean
>anything either.

Riley posted about it in the past, although I don't remember
seeing anything recently. It was mentioned that it would not get
into 2.4.0 so I figured that any porting efforts would continue
in the background until 2.5.x was unleashed... Perhaps he has in
fact put it on hold. Riley? If you're reading this, please
respond.

>I do recall there was some discussion about this at l-k - by Stephen
>Tweetie and Riley Williams, if I recall correctly - but I think it didn't
>catch wind. It won't be a trivial task due to the buffer cache changes in
>2.4 etc. I know I'm not up to it ;) (I stared at the e2compr code long
>enough (trying to fix the mentioned race) to know I will not understand
>the internals without a big help from someone.

Tis all over my head, but I wish someone would do the work to get
e2compr in the kernel for once and for all. It would be a
fantastic thing to have indeed, and would be another step in the
direction of assimilating cool features from other OS's. ;o)

Riley, any porting going on to 2.3.x? Please post the URL for
the patches as well as I seem to have lost it...

Thanks,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.