Re: BogoMIPS and changed CPU speed

From: Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 06:02:10 EST

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:39:06 +0200, David Balazic wrote:
> As I understand the BogoMIPS value is used for some fine grained
> delays. How does then the system survive a big change in the processor
> speed when :
>
> - user changes FSB on the fly ( possible with newer mainboards,
> I never tried it though )
> - CPU goes to lower clock due to power management
> - user (de)activates TURBO on older x86 computers

The system survives the speed change very well. I've done clock scaling on
StrongARM SA1100 CPUs (see signature), and I could change the clock speed
from 59 to 265 MHz without problems. The proper implementation should
change the value of loops_per_sec (in init/main.c), but the system
actually survives well without the change.

Erik

--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/