AWE 32 and MIDI

From: Antonello Biancalana (promind@tecnonet.it)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 04:49:23 EST

Dear sirs,
I downloaded the linux kernel sources (version 2.4.0 test 1) and I later
downloaded all the patches up to test5-pre3.
I patched and compiled the source and I found out that whenever I use
the 2.4 kernel, the MIDI device does not work anymore.
Please note that I have an ISA Sound Blaster AWE 32 (plug-and-play) and
I compiled the sound support as a module.
Whenever I try to play a MIDI file, the kernel loads the awe_wave module
but after that nothing else happen, no music is played out from my
speakers. When I do the same with the 2.2.15 kernel, everything works
fine.
I read about the new device /dev/synth that you have to add to your
modules.conf file and I did it, of course, but the MIDI support do not
work.
Is there something else I need to do or maybe there is a bug in the new
kernel?

Congratulations for your excellent work guys, the 2.4 seems to be a
giant step forward!
Long live the Linux!

best regards,
Antonello Biancalana