Re: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?

From: Steve Dodd (steved@loth.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 14:00:15 EST

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 04:29:29PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> At least cramfs works. I have about ten reports of loopback not working
> lately, and I'm likely to disable it completely unless somebody steps in
> to maintain the damn thing.

I think it really needs to be maintained alongside the block device/buffer
cache/page cache layers, as it's a pretty special case. Allocating resources
from a device's do_request function is always going to be fragile, because
of the number of places where we start I/O to free things (buffer memory,
buffer heads, requests..).