Re: ide patch + kernel 2.2.17-pre12

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 17:10:50 EST

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 11:47:59PM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> > > but could you at least tell me what do you think about
> > > 1). generic ATA tuning
> >
> > A very good idea. There is too much duplicated code in the current
> > PCI ide tuning drivers.
> >

> I have already posted working code without too much luck...
> http://republika.pl/bkz/git-10.README
> http://republika.pl/bkz/git-10.diff.bz2

Well, I think this really should go in. It makes things much cleaner.

> > > 2). ide-info and moving all these /proc/ide/chipset to userland
> > > (right now it requires root priviliges but next version
> > > will use /proc/ide/ide0/config)
> >
> > Adding a lside command ala the lspci and lsusb?
>
> yes... but currently it is called ide-info... wip...
> http://republika.pl/bkz/ide-info-0.0.3.tar.bz2

Ok, I'll take a look.

> > > 3). rewritten amd7409.c (clone of Vojtech's via82cxxx.c)
> > > (no f*ck*ng feedback, people with amd7409 don't like
> > > /proc info and overclocking?)
> >
> > Careful about this, I'm still not sure I've got the MWDMA timing right.
> > Seems at least MWDMA1 is broken on MWDMA1-only drives.
>
> I'm careful and I think that MWDMA0 is also invalid, MWDMA2 is ok...
> I will check them against spec when i have some time...

The problem is that the 'address setup' and other stuff is quite
different for DMA modes than for PIO. I was looking at the specs, the
PIO modes should be OK, but I couldn't find out how the VIA chipset
times the DMA modes. Would be nice to check with an IDE analyzer.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs