Re: /dev filesystem in 2.4.0test5/pre3

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 01:07:52 EST

In <20000719203824.D159935A17@cc237069-b.brick1.nj.home.com> Michael Borrelli (mike@cc237069-b.brick1.nj.home.com) wrote:
> Greetings all,

> I have some odd things happen when I try to boot 2.4.0test5pre3.

> First, I can't boot into a normal run level. The kernel tries to mount
> /dev and fails in finding/creating most devices including my harddrives &
> ttys.

Perhaps you are using old names and not installed devfsd ?

> So the kernel fails telling me that it can't mount swap or /home
> since /dev/hda* doesn't exit.

It's correct. /dev/hda* are GONE for good (you can emulate them with devfsd,
though).

> I found that if use the long name (something like /dev/ide/ide0/.../partition8)

/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part8 to be exact - the same as recent 2.2.X
with devfs so nothing is changed: it was so for last half year at least.

> that I can mount /home and it works fine.

Of course.

> But still, this doesn't help with the ttys.

Why ? Are yu saying that you can not use /dev/vc/0 ... /dev/vc/8 ??? It works
fine here with both 2.2.x+devfs and 2.2.4-testX ...

> I'm starting to get a little nervous since 2.4.0 is going to be released
> soon and I still can't run normally with it. If anyone can be of
> assistance, or needs any more information from me, please ask.

You have two choices:
  1. Read devfs FAQ.
  2. Do not use devfs at all.

devfs WAS NOT designed to be drop-in replacement for old /dev . You CAN use
it this way if you'll add devfsd to the system, of course (read devfs FAQ).