Re: BUG in fs/ext2/super.c

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 03:25:57 EST

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

> Al and all,
>
> there is a bug in fs/ext2/super.c, which I've reported to Al Viro before
> (-test1) with no reaction. Could someone _please_ verify that issue and
> convice Al Viro this needs fixing. Thanks.

Convince *whom*???

% grep -A5 EXT2 MAINTAINERS
EXT2 FILE SYSTEM
P: Remy Card
M: Remy.Card@linux.org
L: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
S: Maintained

While Remy seems to be inactive these days, trivial search through
archives will show that ext2 is de-facto maintained by tytso and SCT.

Gentlemen, could we _PLEASE_ kill this "Al Viro controls all filesystems"
myth? It is Not True. False. !1. NIL. Whatever it is spelled in your
language of choice.

When you see a bug in filesystem, SEND PATCHES TO PEOPLE WORKING ON THAT
FILESYSTEM. Everyone will be happier that way. Look: I'm not Ted, I'm
not Stephen, I'm not Remy and I'm not Linus. We are 5 different people.
And only Linus has a power to force something into the tree against the
will of maintainers, so convincing anybody other than him and maintainers
is an exercise in futility. I don't have such power, never pretended to
have it and do not want it. Period. Is it _that_ hard to understand?

<shudder> patch looks sane, BTW, but I didn't look much into that area.
And yes, when I find a bug in ext2 I send patch to maintainers. Honest.
I can bounce your posting to them, indeed, but WTF?

                                Al,
                                        sick and tired of all that...

PS: Hans, I guess we all have a lot to thank you for ;-/