Re: chattr and ext2 extended attributes

From: Roger Gammans (roger@computer-surgery.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 11:13:27 EST

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 06:08:22PM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> The mount noatime and nodiratime disables
> the atime on files and dirs respectively for the whole mounted
> filesystem. A noatime flag stored in the directory however would
> allow disabling of atime on a per file or directory basis. IMHO
> it would be a very useful thing to have. I played with this flag
> a bit, and it does not appear to work.

In what context.
Do you mean the mount flag doesn't work, or you could make a ext2fs
attr for noatime work?

I only ask as it could shorten the life of some devices (say flash)
if they are mounted with atime, but then I guess you know this.

TTFN

--
Roger
     Think of the mess on the carpet. Sensible people do all their