Re: disk-destroyer.c

From: Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 11:07:42 EST

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
>
> > No, of course not, but we also don't want to make large changes to the
> > kernel to paper over a hole that we can't cement closed. Especially now.
>
> Here is you damn steel-plate-of-armor!

You're missing the point. If root _wants_ to damage the drive, this patch
won't stop him. He merely loads a module that duplicates the old code and
away we go. If I mention it on Bugtraq, someone will probably post the
source for such a module within a week. Fighting it is futile.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't try to prevent people from doing it by
accident, it just means the fix should be as simple and non-intrusive to
the kernel as possible. If the fix is anything more than:

 if(NAUGHTY_IDE_COMMAND)
 {
     printk("NAUGHTY__IDE_COMMAND attempted\n");
     return -EBADUSER;
 }

..then it might not be worth fixing. I'd even be ok with:

 if(NAUGHTY_IDE_COMMAND) panic(); /* root tried to kill drive */

..as it keeps root from doing anything else bad.