Re: The big IDE fight in a different light

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 14:17:29 EST

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> I'd guess smartd and hdparm. They can be changed to use specific HDIO
> ioctls for their stuff. And, yes, I agree with that it should
> either stay or go, and that checking the commands is the only wrong way.

Umm... Which may very well mean that
        a) set of commands provided by protocol is misdesigned
        b) we would be better off if we had reasonable set of commands
(preferably the text ones) that could be written to /proc/ide/hd<x>/cmd,
so that hdparm would become an equivalent of echo [commands] >/proc...
        c) ->write() for that file doing all needed locking.

> Unfortunately /dev/port access doesn't allow the needed locking so for
> more features more kernel IOCTLs will be needed. Guess that isn't that
> big a problem.

        OK, so what _is_ actually used?