82801ICH Secondary IDE channel as GPIO...

From: Mike Panetta (mpanetta@applianceware.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 19:47:39 EST

As I don't know that much about IDE and Linux... I am asking this
question here... If this is not the appropriate place please redirect me
to a list that is...

Well to get to the subject... I am now looking at some very intresting
schematics that show that the secondary IDE interface on the 82801ICH
on this particualr board (cannot mention...) is being used as a sort
of GPIO bus. Its using the 3 IDE address line as address lines and its
using the first 7 of the data lines as plain jane data lines. I am guessing
that since IDE sprung out of "plain old ISA" (tm) that this is an ok thing
to do... But the interface would have to be run in PIO mode yes? And
if I wanted linux to be kosher with this I may have to disable the secondary
interface with a kernel command line like say: "ide1=noprobe" ?

Does this make sense? How would I write a driver to use this interface?
Where can I go to look to see how PIO mode IDE works?

Thanks, and sorry if these questions are not targeted correctly.

Mike Panetta