Re: scsi-destroyer.c to come...

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 21:35:16 EST

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Stephen Frost wrote:

> And yet you would need to be root to do this, and I would suspect
> it *much* more likely a clueless root user would cat junk to /dev/sda than
> a program run as root which uses ioctl's would clobber it's own memory
> space and nuke the disk. Probably alot more likely any such program would
> segfault before doing much actually.

Stephen,

Assume a security exploit of you /bin/bash.
The publish ATA and SCSI program codes have been defined small enough to
push into a shellstack "memory push" buy a clever non-root user.

NO-ROOT involved here 'users.users'

Is this clear enough.

Now if you want to bet you butt on your security protocols are perfect,
GO-AWAY! Stop pumping garbage into a serious issue.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy