Does this help explain better?? ATA/IDE Thread

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 22:43:24 EST

Everyone

I am talking about attempting to invoke unknown vender specific commands
They do comply with the SPEC but are not part of the SPEC.
Since I do not have the priviledge of knowing these facts, but know they
exist. You can not allow a rouge driver attempt to invoke these commands.

This is how disks are/can be damaged.

Controllers are limited to what the driver tells it to do.

This is why it is a kernel level issue, I am taking responsiblity for not
fixing this earlier but I just figured it out have being wacked in the
head with it three months ago.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy