Re: Direct access to hardware

From: Ville Herva (vherva@mail.niksula.cs.hut.fi)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 05:06:44 EST

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 11:08:37PM +0000, you [Miquel van Smoorenburg] claimed:
> In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.4.21.0007211543460.12570-100000@anime.net>,
> Dan Hollis <goemon@sasami.anime.net> wrote:
> >On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Ville Herva wrote:
> >> So, would it be feasible to make it possible to disable direct hardware
> >> access (/dev/mem, /dev/nvram, HD ioctls, what else?) completely in kernel
> >> config?
> >
> >I would certainly feel better if this were possible, in which case Andre's
> >patch would be more reasonable.
>
> It _is_ possible. Check out "capabilities".

Whoops, excuse me for being stupid! Should have looked closer...

But why on earth do we have this several-hundred-postings thread on this,
if it is already possible to disable all the raw access?

Is it actually feasible? Which important or often used apps do need raw
access?

-- v --

v@iki.fi