Do we need papering the hole or proper fix ? (was Re: disk-destroyer.c)

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 07:38:53 EST

In <200007220225.MAA26318@typhaon.pacific.net.au> David Luyer (david_luyer@pacific.net.au) wrote:

>> Think about this: there are situations where root *MUST* be subject to
>> various restrictions (via capabilities, immutable files, etc). If root is
>> able to talk directly to the hardware, these restrictions become
>> unenforcable - security just went out of the window. This is unacceptable:
>> Linux must not do it. (Or rather, it must be possible to prevent Linux
>> doing it.)

> Root can only talk directly to the hardware when given appropriate
> capabilities - CAP_RAW_IO I believe.

And this is NOT the case here. You need ONLY CAP_SYS_ADMIN to use
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD , not CAP_SYS_RAW. And THAT can (and should) be fixed.
Kernel SHOULD NOT try to prevent exploits, but kernel MUST prevent
access to hardware when user (and root!) have no rights to do so.
Unfortunatelly Andre goes completely other way: ide.2.4.0-t5-2.all.4c.patch.bz2
does not have CAP_SYS_RAW word at all !