Re: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?

From: Steve Dodd (steved@loth.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 09:40:35 EST

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 08:38:42AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

[loop device]
> I hope so. I've gotten mixed reports about it - some people say it is fine
> since about 99-pre4 or so, yet I have some confusion-reports about later
> kernels too. They _might_ be pilot error, so..

Before .99-pre4 (ish), there was a deadlock which kicked in more or less
instantly (related to tq_disk). Disabling plugging on loop cured that, but
there are still ways to make it deadlock pretty quickly. Booting with mem=8m
and running iozone -a on an ext2-backed loop device dies pretty quickly for
me.