Re: disk-destroyer.c

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 12:27:11 EST

In <Pine.LNX.4.10.10007221215000.5294-100000@dax.joh.cam.ac.uk> James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk) wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, David Luyer wrote:

>> > Think about this: there are situations where root *MUST* be subject to
>> > various restrictions (via capabilities, immutable files, etc). If root is
>> > able to talk directly to the hardware, these restrictions become
>> > unenforcable - security just went out of the window. This is unacceptable:
>> > Linux must not do it. (Or rather, it must be possible to prevent Linux
>> > doing it.)
>>
>> Root can only talk directly to the hardware when given appropriate
>> capabilities - CAP_RAW_IO I believe.

> Nope. Capabilities mean SFA to root ATM: root can just bypass them all.

PLEASE stop talking about somthing you do not know. If you removed capability
FROM SYSTEM via /proc/sys/kernel/cap-bound then there are NO way to return it
back (ok, you can return it back via special kernel module or via /dev/kmem
but it's also need some capabilities :-)

> Not a very useful `feature', but hard to remove I suspect.

It IS removed. Already. In late 2.2 kernels and 2.4 kernel.