Re: Direct access to hardware

From: Ville Herva (vherva@mail.niksula.cs.hut.fi)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 16:44:24 EST

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 09:49:23PM +0200, you [Peter Svensson] claimed:

> > > You can load all needed modules and then disable modules loading with the
> > > same /proc/sys/kernel/cap-bound ...
> >
> > Good.
>
> Of course you need to keep your bootable medium protected, ot at least the
> kernel. I think linux implements the concept of immutable files but I may
> have the os:s mixed up.

Yes there are immutable files. Anyhow, You might want to boot from cdrom
or similar, since those physically can't be written to.

> It is a usability vs. security issue. You can tighten security immensly
> through capabilities, but then you will have a much harder time as an
> administrator.

There is this guide line "what you don't need, disable". Following this,
you might in end up with a somewhat usable and somewhat secure system. In
this particular case, if you are running a firewall, you'd disable module
if he gets in. This may mean half and hour vs. couple of days down time in
your organisations net access if you don't have a backup fw box, but you
have a backup of the fw software floppy (which you'd have to update, since
it has the same security problem as the original).

-- v --

v@iki.fi