console blanking oddity

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 19:36:53 EST

I am now having a problem with the console screen saver that is
very odd. It has worked flawlessly since the beginning of time
more or less, however what is happening now is:

After 10 minutes, instead of the screen blanking, MOST of the
screen blanks to black, EXCEPT text on the screen with the
extended attribute bold set. For example, I am using midnight
commander. When the screen blanks, everything blanks, except the
bright white parts. In PINE, everything blanks except
highlighted email addresses and URL's that are highlighted.

It is VERY strange indeed! I've never experienced this at all
before, and the _only_ thing that I can think of that I've
changed that would be related, is the other day I discovered that
any application that displays a CTRL-N to the screen will change
the console to the G1 character set. This is bad since the
screen is unreadable and I must type blindly to reset the
screen. So I read the "charset" manpage and figured out how to
set the G1 and G0 sets to be identical. I did so, and tested out
the CTRL-N thing, and it worked. No more garbage on the screen.
I've left it like that since then, and now when the screen saver
comes on, I get highlit words being left on the screen, however
their color is dimmed. Weird, very weird.

I thought the screen blanker turned on the overscan bit, and
blanked the screen with the border color. It looks like it does
something else however...

For those that can't read, please note that I am refering to the
*TEXT CONSOLE* screen blanker that is set with "setterm" and
*NOT* talking about X windows screen saver.

Any ideas?

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.