Adaptec 2930U2 vs. Linux 2.4.0-test4

From: Bob_Tracy (rct@gherkin.sa.wlk.com)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 19:02:47 EST

I have an Adaptec 2930U2 SCSI controller that Linux can (will) not
talk to. Specifically, whether the AIC7XXX driver is compiled into
the kernel or built as a module, the controller goes into an infinite
timeout/reset loop during initialization.

Initially, I had planned to use the 2930U2 as a secondary SCSI
controller with only a WDE 18300 LVD drive attached to it. This
would allow me to set up the WDE drive the way I want, and transfer
everything off the SCSI drives attached to my primary controller
(Buslogic/Mylex BT-948).

Because at least one of the following is true...

(1. I'm not asking for help "correctly". 2. I'm not asking for help
in the correct forum(s). 3. I'm being ignored.)

... I wanted to demonstrate that I've made a good faith effort to
solve the problem on my own before bothering the people I believe
can help me.

Today, all SCSI controllers except the Adaptec 2930U2 were removed
from my system, and the hardware that was attached to the BT-948 was
relocated to the external and internal 50p connectors on the Adaptec.
This is not as insane as it sounds: originally, I had an ISA Adaptec
controller in my system, and the Buslogic controller was known to
use the same translation scheme as the ISA Adaptec, so I ASSumed
(correctly as it turns out) that the disk drives would continue to
work properly on the 2930U2 without having to reformat them. I
enabled the BIOS on the 2930U2 and set about trying to exercise the
various boot options available on my drive ID 0.

Result: with LILO already installed on drive ID 0, I can boot
everything I could before. Win95 boots and runs well with no
resource conflicts of any kind indicated, and *all* the attached
SCSI peripherals are seen and work properly. The standalone
"memtest86" program boots and runs properly. Linux 2.4.0-test4 with
the aic7xxx driver compiled in boots, but goes into the infinite
timeout/reset loop during driver initialization.

Mr. Ledford correctly points out that this isn't necessarily an
aic7xxx driver problem: there is a lot of mid-level SCSI code to be
considered. Ok... Fine. I have no problem with that. However,
that tells me I need to gather and provide more information to
SOMEONE that can make a determination as to where the problem lies
and how to fix it.

Would some nice person or persons step forward and work with me on
this? I'm clueful enough to write/modify kernel code, and would
be more than happy to work through a troubleshooting procedure
with someone. Only fly in the ointment is a mandatory appearance
in Las Vegas, NV this coming Tuesday through Sunday, so we can do
*some* work on this through Monday evening (U.S. Central timezone),
and/or wait until the following week to attack this with a vengeance.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and patience!

--
Bob Tracy
rct@wlk.com