Re: kernel debugger...

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 14:45:15 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:

> > NDS provides no value to Linux unless it's integrated into the
> > OS, which will happen when MANOS goes out next year around
> > March. NDS is more of a Microsoft play than a Linux play and
> > Linux already has better internet directory technology than NDS
> > -- NDS is better for managing LAN's.
>
> It should be interesting to see what happens here. First
> SAMBA, then the Kerberos thing and now NDS ... looks like
> we might be able to beat Microsoft on their home turf ;)

Here's what they sent me day before yesterday, right before they had the
lawyers come after us, and I dissolved our contracts. Draw your own
conclusions:

.......from Microsoft .....

... Microsoft has not had time to drill into this but we do want to make
sure that you are not in any way compromising any Microsoft Confidential
Information in your actions or your communications. Some of your
comments in various newsgroups in support of Linux and MANOS have been
sent to me with concerns and we need to look more carefully and will
respond to you directly, but I can say that at this time we do not see
any business benefits to us to support a R/W NTFS on Linux as you have
proposed and are concerned about support problems that some of your
ideas are creating for us with your Linux projects. Truly, all your
ideas need to be viewed by the industry as your own and we don't want to
it to publically appear that we influence them or participate, if that
is responsive to your question.....

:-)

Jeff