Re: Oops on boot with both 2.2.17 and 2.4.0t8p6

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 17:09:05 EST

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:48:51 +0200,
Rasmus Andersen <rasmus@jaquet.dk> wrote:
>I just got hold of an old machine (P75, 32MB RAM). On trying to install
>RH 6.2 on it, I got an oops after loading the kernel from the boot floppy.
>I then tried to boot a 2.4.0-test8-pre6 (made with make bzdisk), but got
>an oops. The same with 2.2.17.
>
>Oops from 2.2.17 (some more before this, but it went offscreen):
>
>Code:<1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000292
>>>EIP; c0107f27 <show_registers+237/268> <=====

The first oops is the important one in this case, some code has taken a
branch to invalid storage. The second oops is the kernel trying to
print the code fro9m the first oops and gives no useful data.

You need to capture and decode the first oops. Compile a kernel with a
serial console and capture the oops log on a second machine. See
linux/Documentation/{serial-console.txt,oops-tracing.txt} on a recent
2.4 kernel. Also upgrade ksymoops for 2.4.