Re: Notebook disk spindown

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 04:24:58 EST

Andre Hedrick writes:
> If apmd could issue a WIN_STANDBY value and execute WIN_STANDBYNOW1 then
> the drive would know the thresholds to attempt a "suspend". Where as an
> issue of WIN_SLEEPNOW1 would "hibernate" the drive.

Ok, so that deals with the hard drive, so the series of events
on hibernate is:

1. User hits hibernate key combination
2. Message gets sent from the APM bios to the kernel, and then to apmd
3. apmd tells the hard drive to hibernate
4. apmd tells the kernel that its all done
5. kernel acknowledges the request to the APM bios
6. APM bios then accesses the hard drive to write the memory contents
   out to disk, spinning it up.

Therefore, making apmd send the "hibernate" command to the disk is
wrong.

Also, please note that I was talking about the whole machine, NOT just
the hard drive.
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/personal/aboutme.html / / |
  / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\