Re: Linux 2.2.18pre4

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 00:39:24 EST

David S. Miller writes:
> From: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>

>> Over on the freebsd-questions mailing list you can see desperate
>> people trying to convert Linux systems over to that other OS to
>> escape Linux 2.2.xx NFS. This is kind of serious, you know?
>
> So basically the situation is that people prefer to switch the whole
> OS as opposed to applying a kernel patch?

Yes. Reasons why this may be so:

1. Confidence has been lost. The OS is seen as buggy crap.
   Patches are perceived as being mere bandaids.

2. Existence of the required patches is not well known.
   Most people don't know to look for patches when something
   goes wrong. Patches don't get banner ads on Slashdot.

3. If a patch is found, can you trust it? It could be obsolete,
   buggy, or even a trojan.

4. Not everybody with NFS problems knows what to do with a patch.

For the last person I helped, reason #2 was the primary problem.
I saw hints of #1 and #3 as well.