Re: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module

From: David Howells (David.Howells@nexor.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 07:55:14 EST

Oliver Neukum <Oliver.Neukum@lrz.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> So ask Linus for one. The streams group got one. Why shouldn't yo ?

Well, that's up to Linus... but from his email on this subject, he might well.

> Having a static syscall should be more efficient, too.

A little... otherwise it's a matter once per process of reading a line from
the /proc file, pulling out the number (or reading via an ioctl) and keeping
it in a global variable, rather than having it as immediate data on an
assembly instruction.

> It need not be.

True... but it isn't at the moment.

> You should be able to steal a solution from knfsd. It faces the same problem.
> Of course it takes a small stub that's always in kernel, but so what.

Interesting idea... I'll take a look. Maybe it'll be possible to share
something.

David Howells