Re: Availability of kdb

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 11:36:59 EST

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> The person writing and updating page table entries in NetWare
> 4.1 was clearing the accessed bit in the PTE and did not know
> that the processor would assert a hidden R/M/W operation and
> assert a bus lock to set this bit everytime someone cleared it
> -- it made performance drop 4% from NetWare 3.X and noone knew
> why.

Hmmm, this sounds like an `interesting' incident that we need
to know more about. Currently Linux may have some problems with
the PTE modifying code so if you have any details about how
exactly you are supposed to modify a PTE, we'd like to know ;)

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/