Using Yarrow in /dev/random

From: Pravir Chandra (pchandra@rstcorp.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 08:08:59 EST

I've been working to change the implementation of /dev/random over to the
Yarrow-160a algorithm created by Bruce Schneier and John Kelsey. We've been
working on parallel development for Linux and NT so that the algorithms are
matching. The Yarrow 160A algorithm is a variant of Yarrow-160 that has come
about from discussions with John Kelsey. We've been in contact with him
throughout our development effort.

In any case, this requires use of a hash function (sha1) and a block cipher
(3des). We were going to do a replacement of /dev/random (it's nearly finished)
but in retrospect, it seemed that I hadn't looked into the current state of
incorporating crypto into the kernel. If anyone has any suggestions, comments,
questions, please email.

Also, does anyone have any complaints against incorporating a new /dev/random
into the kernel?

pravir chandra.
Reliable Software Technologies
www.rstcorp.com