Re: Reorg raid5 block xor routines

From: Richard Henderson (rth@twiddle.net)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 18:18:06 EST

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 08:48:24AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> - Please split this up the same way the checksums were split up:
> make the xor routine be an architecture-dependent library thing, with
> the "generic" slow one possibly just a regular library thing.

This is simple enough to do when compiling this code into the kernel,
but becomes much trickier when trying to load it as a module. I'll
spare your queasy stomach descriptions of the possible solutions that
I've thought of.

So, unless you have non-gross, non-fragile ideas, I only see two
acceptible solutions: (1) compile it in staticly, or (2) leave things
where they are.

I know you're not thrilled about nr 2, but the question is whether it
is acceptible to add 15k code on the chance that someone will want to
do raid5. At present all the distributions ship modular /dev/md,
since it has no appreciable impact until the personalities are loaded.

r~