Re: Test 8 Kernel Unable to get the password prompt?

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@idb.hist.no)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 04:18:31 EST

Steven Walter wrote:

> If you're logging in as root, this is probably a result of the VT not
> being named in /etc/securetty. Devfsd mucks up the names, so you can
> either include "1," which would allow root logins from pseudo-terminals
> and other insecure places, or upgrade your util-linux to a newer
> version; I'm not sure what is new enough.

Don't include "1", include "vc/1" instead. That allows root login
from virtual console 1, and not from pseudo-terminals (i.e.
no telnetting in as root, as usual.)

There may be some util-linux versions that don't handle "vc/1", the
one in the debian distribution have no problems though.

Helge Hafting