Re: Booting into /bin/bash

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 08:25:28 EST

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Ion Badulescu wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Ion Badulescu wrote:
>
> > Maybe I'll play with main.c and see what happens if I force /dev/console
> > to become the controlling tty for init. Hmm... That could be dangerous for
> > init. Maybe a better idea would be to hack init so that it gives any
> > program started from inittab /dev/console as the controlling tty.
> >
> > You're the sysvinit maintainer, right? :) What do you think of this idea?
>
> ... and init already does the above. :-) Except for one case: the
> emergency shell doesn't get a controlling tty. The first mini-patch below
> takes care of that problem.
>
> This still doesn't solve the original problem, i.e. init (or whatever you
> pass as init) still doesn't get a controlling tty from the kernel.
> However, since init appears to be safe from these issues, it it fairly
> trivial to fix this in the kernel; the second patch below takes care of
> it. The patch is against 2.2.17 but will apply against pretty much any 2.2
> and 2.4 kernel. It's is for i386 only, but the fixup for other
> architectures is extremely obvious.

Without patching the kernel, I think I can show that there is something
basically wrong. The patch may just hide the problem.

Something seems to be wrong, even with using the first virtual
terminal, which is a 'tty' and should (must) be able to become a
a controlling terminal.

Here is a trace:

getpid() = 6
open("/dev/tty1", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK) = 3
fcntl(3, F_GETFL) = 0x802 (flags O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)
fcntl(3, F_SETFL, O_RDWR) = 0
dup2(3, 0) = 0
dup2(3, 1) = 1
dup2(3, 2) = 2
ioctl(3, TIOCSCTTY) = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)
close(3) = 0

This is a stock kernel version 2.2.15. The stuff necessary to make
'strace' run ends up with the 'init' PID of 6. FYI, it is a real
bear to 'strace' init's startup.

I haven't a clue why a UID/GID=0 process can't acquire a controlling
TTY.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.