Re: Fixed addresses for various architectures

From: Eli Carter (eli.carter@inet.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 09:45:54 EST

"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:
> I would like to have suggestions for a fixed memory address into which
> a large object can (usually) be mmap(MAP_FIXED)'d safely on various
> architectures.
>
> On i386 I'm using 0x60000000, which is (by and large) safely out of
> the way of libraries (grow up from 0x40000000) and the stack (grows
> down from 0xc0000000 or 0x80000000 depending on version and compile
> options).
>
> So, what are good values to use for other architectures?

I don't have an answer for you, but rather a related question... is
there an explaination somewhere of all of the fixed memory locations the
kernel is expecting, what they are used for, and what #defines are
related to each? I've learned some, but not all of them.

I have a Gnome Dia document in which I've tried to lay out the fixed
memory locations for arm-linux and the mapping of
ioremap<->virt<->phys<->bus. It's not perfect, but if you want a copy,
email me.

Eli
--------------------. "To the systems programmer, users and applications
Eli Carter | serve only to provide a test load."
eli.carter@inet.com `---------------------------------- (random fortune)