Re: configuring from kernel source directory

From: Eli Carter (eli.carter@inet.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 10:00:16 EST

Tan Chee Wei wrote:

> hallo ,
> To back up a linux source directory, I tried a $ cp -Rr /usr/src/linux2.2.5
> /usr/src/2.2.5_New
> and then I made the soft link to point to the new directory.
> My question is why does 'make xconfig' or any 'make config' in the new
> directory does not work ,even though the .config file is the same in the
> original and the new one?
> The following errors are encountered.
> rm -f include/asm
> rm: include/asm: is a directory
> make: *** [symlinks] Error 1
>
> But strange enough, make xconfig works in the original old kernel source
> directory.
> Thanks !

include/asm is supposed to be a softlink. man cp. You need to use -d
to preserve links instead of dereferencing them.

Eli
--------------------. "To the systems programmer, users and applications
Eli Carter | serve only to provide a test load."
eli.carter@inet.com `---------------------------------- (random fortune)