Re: Distro kernel patches (was Re: Linux 2.2.18pre4)

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 16:31:17 EST

On 13 Sep 2000, Ralf Gerbig wrote:

> * Chip Salzenberg writes:
>
> Hi Chip,
>
> > According to Ralf Gerbig:
> >> but SuSe and I believe RedHat etc. etc. _do_ ship patched kernels.
>
> > You've just made L-K's understatement of the day.
>
> [...]
>
> so I rest my case vs shrink wrap.

Yep. I installed Suse-6.4 on my laptop. Since I needed APM to work, I
recompiled the kernel source that they supplied. First, I just did
`make oldconfig` so I could duplicate the existing kernel. Well.
No such luck. There was no way in hell I could duplicate the kernel
that they supplied, with the sources that they supplied. And there
was no secret 'patch' directory either...

And I thought this was the whole idea of (GPL) [Snipped...] :

  3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

But what do I know, I haven't bought any lawyers lately ;~)

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.