Re: PATCH: ide-scsi.c to allow claiming of Onstream drives

From: Willem Riede (osst@riede.org)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 18:39:29 EST

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Matthew Dharm wrote:
>
> > Attached is a patch to ide-scsi.c against 2.4.0-test8. Please consider
> > applying it.
> >
> > This patch removes the logic which causes ide-scsi to refuse to attach
> > itself to an IDE OnStream drive. While these drives are not supported by
> > the standard st.c driver, there is userspace support (using the sg
> > interface) which works with the ATAPI drive with ide-scsi patched with this
> > patch.
> >
> > So there really is no reason for ide-scsi to reject this device.
>
> Yes,
>
> There is a reason that it was put there, DI-30's require special IO that
> st.o does not know how to do.
>
> Look at all the hoops that it took to get ide-tape to work.
> If ide-scsi would have done the trick, it would have saved headaches.

Indeed. But in the mean time, a scsi driver for Onstream drives has
been written (by me). Together with Kai Makisara I have resolved how
to get those drives detected by this new driver (osst) and not by st.

The second patch that Matt refers to inserts that logic into st so
it does not try to support these drives and fails due to the drive
particulars. Since SCSI, USB and IDE versions of these drives exist,
patching st is more appropriate than ide-scsi.

Regards. Willem Riede.