Console

From: Kirti Desai (kirtidesai@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 20:05:24 EST

My name is Kirti Desai. I am trying to write a new
console driver.
Hence I was going through the source code and I need
your
help in understanding it. I would be obliged if you
can help
me out. I am working on Redgar Linux 2.2-14.12 on
Celeron 400.

* Is console related to a tty_driver? We have two
functions
register_console and register_tty_driver? How are
these two
related?
In tty_init(tty_io.c) we register dev_tty_driver and
dev_syscons_driver?
In console_init(tty_io.c) con_init(tty_io.c for
CONFIG_VT=y) is
called. It registers console_driver and calls
register_console(vt_console_driver).

* To do printk we need not open the /dev/console file?
What I found was
start_kernel(init/main.c) calls console_init and
kernel_thread(init..)
which calls init is called later which opens
/dev/console.

* How are stdin/stdout/stderr mapped to the tty's?
What want to know
if that when we call say printf in user
program,finally write(1,..) gets called which calls
tty_write ,con_write. How does tty come in
picture?

* What are /dev/console /dev/tty0, /dev/tty1 files?

Any pointer to documentation ..would be of great
help?

Thanks,
Kirti Desai