Re: MakeFile Problems - make modules_install test8

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 16:57:25 EST

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:32:36 -0700,
Michael Peddemors <michael@wizard.ca> wrote:
>When running `make modules_install` it errors out with an
>
>cd /lib/modules/2.4.0-test8; \
>mkdir -p pcmcia; \
>find kernel -path '*/pcmcia/*' -name '*.o' | xargs -i -r ln -sf ../{} pcmcia
>if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.4.0-test8; fi
>modprobe: kernel: QM_SYMBOLS: Function not implemented
>make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 1
>
>even tho pcmcia was never defined in the .config

Not pcmcia, that error is coming from modprobe. At a guess (and I have
to guess because you did not supply any data about your machine), you
are compiling on a kernel without modules. Something is invoking
modprobe while executing those commands, which is strange because
modprobe is not needed there.

Building the pcmcia directory is a temporary measure until everybody
upgrades to a recent pcmcia-cs. The worst it will do is build an empty
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test8/pcmcia directory.

Stick the commands below in a file then, as root,
  strace -f -o modprobe.strace sh -x filename >modprobe.sh 2>&1
mail me the modprobe.strace and modprobe.sh output. Also include the
output from "sh scripts/ver_linux".