Re: null TTY in tty_fasync?

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 08:05:43 EST

Marco d'Itri wrote:

> At the end of a UUCP poll this message was logged:
>
> Sep 19 23:42:47 wonderland kernel: Warning: null TTY for (04:40) in tty_fasync
>
> What does it mean?

Very hard to say.

Ted, Google says this has only been reported three or four times. Could
we please have a BUG() in that code path?

It's probably unrelated to Harley's crash
(http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0009.1/0049.html), but
then, I have no explanation for Harley's crash.

Having stared sleepily at the code for several evenings I see no way in
which serial_driver.refcount can be non-zero while serial.o's module
refcount is zero. But it happened.

We can rule out the schedule() in release_dev(), which is definitely an
rmmod window bug, because Harley has confirmed that the "release_dev: %s:
read/write wait queue active!" message did not come out (he still
has the logs). It's something else.

It would be a shame to put the `struct module *owner' stuff
into the tty layer prior to having an explanation for all of
this, even though it's on the todo list.