Re: Topic for discussion: OS Design

From: Helge Hafting (helge.hafting@idb.hist.no)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 02:19:57 EST

David Woodhouse wrote:

> helgehaf@idb.hist.no said:
> > The pc speaker is fine for playing one note at a time - it is
> > extremely shitty hardware if you want to play samples.
>
> It's actually quite reasonable for sound effects. Stuff like beeps and
> boings to announce talk requests, new mail, etc. But yes, playing mp3s on
> it does suck somewhat :)
>
> > A dirt cheap used soundcard or even a resistor network connected to the
> > parallel port is a good DAC-device compared to the pc speaker.
>
> Note that the latter is also supported by the PCSP driver, and has to play
> the same evil timer tricks. When I finally get round to shifting the system

Interesting!

> timer onto the RTC so the PCSP driver can have the 8253 all to itself,
> the PCSP driver will be a lot nicer. It doesn't impact the system
> performance that much at all.

Maybe I overestimated the overhead of the pc-speaker sound driver.
Still,
the quality is dubious due to the hardware. Some case designers fit the
cheapest possible speaker / piezo-electric device in order to
minimize cost. (It is only used for system beeps so why use something
expensive. Who
cares if there is scratching on a beep due to somthing located too near
the membrane...)

And don't even try asking a pc-case salesman about the quality of the
built-in speaker.

Helge Hafting