Re: syslog() blocks on glibc 2.1.3 with kernel 2.2.x

From: Igmar Palsenberg (maillist@chello.nl)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 07:50:59 EST

> Perhaps syslogd is not giving higher priority to local messages; if it
> did, maybe it could recover from the deadlock. But this would not be
> a reliable solution; the only reliable solution is for syslogd to be
> independent of any processes which need to talk to it.

In that case, don't do lookups at all. Let a script do resolving in a
crontab or so.

analog uses a nice solution for this : store hostnames in a file. When it
doesn't know a hostname, look it up. That saves tons of querys.

> > Per chance are you running the name service caching daemon (nscd)?
>
> No.
>
> > I'd also guess you aren't disabling fsync() for your sysylog files
> > (it's part of the syslog.conf format) -- this is a conciderable
> > drain on syslogd.
>
> I see no documentation for such an option in the syslog.conf man page.
> This is with the current Red Hat 6.2 syslogd (package
> sysklogd-1.3.31-17).

There is. see man syslogd(8).

You need to prefix files that don't need to be synced() with a -

> - Pat

        Igmar