Re: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 20:35:31 EST

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 12:04:23AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > It's still got some problems with NFS (I am seeing a few RPC timeout
> > errors) so I am backreving to 2.2.17 for the Ute-NWFS release next week,
> > but it's most impressive.
>
> Can you send a summary of the NFS reports to nfs-devel@linux.kernel.org

Yes. I just went home, so I am emailing from my house. I'll post late
tonight or in the morning. Performance on 100Mbit with NFS going
Linux->Linux is getting better throughput than IPX NetWare Client ->
NetWare 5.x on the same network by @ 3%. When you start loading up a
Linux server, it drops off sharply and NetWare keeps scaling, however,
this does indicate that the LAN code paths are equivalent relative to
latency vs. MSM/TSM/HSM in NetWare. NetWare does better caching
(but we'll fix this in Linux next). I think the ring transitions to
user space daemons are what are causing the scaling problems
Linux vs. NetWare.

:-)

Jeff