Re: test10-pre7

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 18:40:24 EST

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> It is simple - but a change in _every_ makefile is required.
> And it is not really needed for old-style makefiles.

Actually, you don't have to change every makefile, because you CAN do this
all with a simple backwards-compatibility layer, something like:

        OXONLY = $(filter-out $(O_OBJS), $(OX_OBJS))
        ALL_O = $(OXONLY) $(O_OBJS)

which is a no-op for a "proper" makefile that follows the new rules
(OXONLY will be empty, because all OX_OBJS files will be part of O_OBJS),
but it will make old-style stuff act the same..

I'd actually prefer to just change every Makefile, but hey, I think
something like the above (untested) would make them work unmodified too.

                Linus