Re: test10-pre7

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 15:59:59 EST

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Russell King wrote:

> Linus Torvalds writes:
> > On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Keith Owens wrote:
> > > LINK_FIRST is processed in the order it is specified, so a.o will be
> > > linked before z.o when both are present. See the patch.
> >
> > So why don't you do the same thing for obj-y, then?
> >
> > Why can't you do
> >
> > LINK_FIRST=$(obj-y)
> >
> > and be done with it?
>
> Hmm, so why don't we just call it obj-y and be done with it? ;)

That was going to be my next question if somebody actually said "sure".

The question was rhetorical, since the way LINK_FIRST is implemented means
that it has all the same problems that $(obj-y) has, and is hard to get
right in the generic case (but you can get it trivially right for the
subset case, like for USB).

                        Linus