Re: [BUG] Inconsistent behaviour of rmdir

From: Jean-Marc Saffroy (saffroy@ri.silicomp.fr)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 13:14:21 EST

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> The cwd is not the problem. The '.' is.
>
> The reason for that check is that allowing "rmdir(".")" confuses a lot of
> UNIX programs, because it wasn't traditionally allowed.

This is a point I don't understand here : do you mean that they are
confused if they can rmdir "." but not if they can rmdir their cwd
differently ? What's the difference ?

I am not saying that rmdir MUST be allowed on "." ; I just suggested that
it be allowed _because_ you can rmdir your cwd anyway. Now if rmdir "." is
forbidden, then I think rmdir `pwd` should fail as well. Or am I missing
something ?

--
Jean-Marc Saffroy - Research Engineer - Silicomp Research Institute
mailto:jms@migrantprogrammer.com