Re: APM oops with Dell 5000e laptop

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 16:43:14 EST

> I do not believe so. I tend to think that detecting these broken models is a waste of kernel code (especially, if there's an effort to correct the problem).

One idea the Dell folks suggested is walking the SMBIOS data table. That happens
to be something I want to do as its the only good way I know to get

        o Cache sizes on older machines
        o The type of monitoring device (lm78 etc) attached
        o slot information

I have user space code to walk these tables so I have a basis to attack this
in 2.2.19