Re: Error in x86 CPU capabilities starting with test5/6

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 13:28:34 EST

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 05:06:49PM +0100, Christoph Rohland wrote:
> Could I get this for i686? :-)

If we break binary compatibility yes. I mean: new glibc binaries wouldn't
run anymore on older kernels. Also new static binaries wouldn't run
anymore on older kernels. At least if we don't introduce runtime
checks to guess if current kernel supports vsyscall or not (and if we do
that it means we're adding slow checks in an extremely fast path and that's
not what we want :).

As about the broken calling conventions of the IA32 ABI, I think it doesn't
worth to break the binary compatibility at this late stage.

Andrea